Adventure Journal


Wednesday 5 August 2009

Barefoot Running

Barefoot Running



As anyone who reads my blog knows, I enjoy any activity that I can do barefoot, and do outdoors.

For many years now I've struggled with running, but always had a horrible time with it - until recently. One of the various usegroups and blogs I follow is from a bloke called Barefoot Ted who introduced me to running barefoot.

There are literally dozens of published papers by leading scientists which show that barefoot running is significantly better for you than running shod. It's better for your knees, better for your joints, better for your back and your entire body.

Although I'd rather run than cycle to keep in shape between expeditions, I've needed to cycle due to bad shin splints when I run. Since watching dozens of barefoot running videos on YouTube and reading about barefoot running - I have decided to try running 2km per day barefoot. I've had great success with it. I learned “mid food landing” rather than the clumsy “heel strike landing” shod people have and so far have not experienced shin splints, sore knees or a sore back. I also find I can run longer and push more going barefoot.


http://neuroanthropology.net/2009/07/26/lose-your-shoes-is-barefoot-better/

I find barefoot running very stimulating and gives me a sense of freedom that is difficult to explain. It's truly a fantastic and spiritual experience to glide along the asphalt, connected to the earth and enjoying the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment