Adventure Journal


Thursday 19 June 2008

An End To Working At Summer Camp - 200806-19

Thursday, June 19 - 2008

During routine exercises and prep-work, practicing CPR techniques and back-board strapping at the camp, somehow I must have pulled some muscles in my back and could hardly move.

Unfortunately during the swim section of the next exercise I couldn't do the 1km swim due to my pulled muscles.

I was quickly notified by the camp director that if we are injured and will take more than 2 days to recover, we are dismissed from our responsibilities at the camp.

The camp director and waterfront director felt that it was in my best interest to go home for the season and come back next year as a result of my hurt back muscles. Tori decided she didn't want to be here by herself and she would also go home.

That really sucks, but I'll get to spend the summer scuba diving and hiking when my back gets itself back into shape.

With a heavy heart, Tori and I will be leaving the peace and solitude of the camp, and taking the Via Rail back to the Niagara Region shortly, never to see our beloved camp again this year.

The camp stated they will pay me two weeks full wages plus train fare home as a courtesy since this was circumstances beyond anyone's control.

What makes it worse than having to leave the camp, is that I was fortunate enough to be granted a 3 month L.O. A. (leave of absence) from my job and they were so happy that Tori and I had the opportunity to go out and make a difference in the world. Work and both Tori and my family were so supportive of this opportunity and were all rooting for us to be a success.

Although it's hardly anyones fault what happened - it's still frustrating, and angering to be unable to fulfill my duties to the children of the camp, as well as have to return home after little more than a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment